Retningslinjer for publikasjoner
KHiB Guidelines for applications for publications funding.
Bergen Academy of Art and Design (KHiB) shall focus on artistic research and development. A programme has been established to encourage and investigate research practices in the field of Art and Design. At the same time KHiB wants to contribute - through a series of publications - to the discourse, debate and development in contemporary visual art and design - and higher arts education.
The next application deadline is 3 April
Click for application form (Word format):
Pending the Boards decision, KHiB allocates yearly funding at the institutional level to publish artistic results and documentation on relevant issues from the academic staff. These funds are allocated following applications submitted twice a year.
Standard procedure would be that if an application is favored,
the Academy agrees to take the full cost of publication and that
such publications are made with KHiB as the publisher. Occasionally
a grant to support publication by another publisher or a
co-production may be considered.
A considerable personal input to secure a high quality result is expected from the applicant. Applicants should also be aware that the publication process - from the application is submitted all the way through to the final launching of the new book - might take some time.
In order to be considered for publication, an application must include the following:
- A completed electronic application form.
- A dummy demonstrating the lay out and showing a representative selection of the images.
- An introductory text written by the applicant that puts the project in relevant artistic/design contexts and relate the project to contemporary professional discourses.
- The manuscript, complete with any index, notes and/or references. The manuscript can be submitted electronically, preferably as a read-only PDF-file, or in paper version. If submitted in paper version, please submit three copies.
- A realistic and exact budget where the printing costs should be based on an edition of 800 copies. The budget should be clear and easy to understand. All items in the budget should be explained and be unambiguous. Tenders should be invited for the printing. If the texts are not produced in English, the costs of a professional translation to English should be calculated into the budget, as well as the extra costs that follow if the publication is proposed printed abroad (postage, custom duty). The Academy administration may be consulted for assistance on these matters. Please remember to include VAT (moms) in your budget.
- A progress schedule. Remember to take into consideration that the publication process usually requires some time.
Priority will be given to funding publications that contribute in different ways to highlight and challenge relevant themes, reflections and discourses. Publications that are based on results from R&D projects funded by KHiB may be prioritized.
Applications will be processed by KHiB's international R&D Committee, which is appointed by the Academy's Board. When drawing up applications, applicants should be aware that a majority of the members of the R&D Committee are external, including several from abroad.
If the publication application receives a preliminary positive response from the R&D Committee, the manuscript will be sent to peer review. The peer review process might require 1-2 months to complete, perhaps even more, depending on the reviewers and the manuscript. Based on the appraisals from the reviewers, but independently, the final decision regarding publication funding will then be made by the R&D Committee. The peer review process is anonymous however, the appraisals from the reviewers are anonomised and sent to the applicant. He/she will be given ample time to take the comments from the reviewers into consideration, and make changes to the manuscript if deemed necessary.
The application form must be written in English, attachments could be written in either English or Norwegian. The applicants are encouraged to submit their applications in English.
All applicants must submit their application form electronically. Deficient applications and/or applications submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
Application forms should be sent as attachment or with a link to a file sharing facility in an e-mail to Sol Sneltvedt. Likewise, any attachments should also be delivered or sent to the same address.
firstname.lastname@example.org R&D adviser
It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure that all necessary documents are submitted. It is recommended that the applicant keep a copy of the application documents.